Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pink Cereal

So last night, or I should say this morning, Griffin woke up at 3:30AM and wanted to come sleep with me in my bed which I always welcome because at this point it is the only time he actually stays still long enough for me to cuddle with him. Anyway, last night I brought him to my bed and he requested Pink Cereal. He calls the Frosted Mini Wheats with strawberry flavoring "Pink Cereal" because it’s pink! Anyway, we had run out of the Pink Cereal and I thought once I told him that he would be fine and go back to sleep. I was so groggy I could barely keep my eyes open anyway so I wasn’t looking forward to having to make him cereal and staying up while he ate it. Nope, he then insisted on having "Mommy Cereal". "Mommy Cereal" is the new Grape Nuts Trail Mix Crunch that on most days I eat for breakfast and Dinner. I know, I’m a bad example of a balanced diet but hey, I’m lazy! At least he eats real meals so I’m half way there! At any rate, I got up and made him the cereal realizing he wasn’t going to forget about being hungry and go back to bed and he ate it and we went back to bed. I couldn’t sleep again till around 4:30 unfortunately!

My point in writing about Pink Cereal and Mommy Cereal is not only because I think it is adorable that he has those cute names for the cereal because to me yes, it is brilliant and adorable that he names things, but as I tried to go back to sleep after he ate his Mommy Cereal, I realized that this was really the most amazing love I have ever felt for someone. The reason I say that is because if anyone else in the world had ever made me get up out of a deep sleep at 3:30 in the morning (yes, even you Pirkle) to fix them cereal I would tell them to take a flying leap off of a steep cliff (unless they were on their death bed of course)! And even then I wouldn’t be happy about having to feed whoever cereal at that hour. But, with Griffin I sat there and gave him cereal and we talked about Mac, his truck from the movie Cars that he had chosen to sleep with that night, and pretended to feed Lightning McQueen some of Mommy’s Cereal, because of course if Griffin was hungry so was Lightning right. Even though I was dead tired I was so happy at that moment to be feeding him cereal and interacting with him and was able to endure the pain of being awake and active at that hour. And as I drifted back to sleep closer to 5am I realized that this was real true love that I could never feel for anything or anyone besides my child!

No comments: